Issue N# 4 - 1999
Long term results of swallowing after horizontal sub-glottic laryngectomy
Authors : G. Le Clech, G. Legrand, S. Feat, J. Le Bourdon, B. Godey (Rennes)
Ref. : Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol. 1999;120,4:253-255.
Article published in french
This is a retrospective study of 80 patients who have had a horizontal subglottic laryngectomy. The functional results were assessed by means of clinical findings at follow-up and a questionnaire. The mean time to decannulation was 32 days, and to removal of the nasogastric tube 25 days. 45 % of patients had no fistula. Of the remaining 55 %, there was a false passage for fluids in 90 %. These fistulae remained patent for an average of 12 weeks. At one year and beyond, 40 % of patients were on a normal diet, 33 % were on ground food, 10 % on a soft paste fiet, 6 % on a semi-liquid diet, and 10 % were fed by tube. The factors militating towards poor function are age above 65 years, and provious radiotherapy.